Tuesday 5 November 2013

Karya's summer in America

We recommend all our Events students gain practical experience to help their future career prospects.

3rd year student Karya Worden took the opportunity to work at a traditional summer camp for girls at Camp Wicosuta, New Hampshire, USA. Karya hopes the placement will help her achieve her goal of making it into the teaching profession:

"My role at camp was a tennis counsellor - teaching girls aged 6-15 how to play tennis - and also a bunk counsellor; so in a way I was their 'virtual mum'. I taught tennis during the day and with my co-counsellors I had to get 10 girls up for breakfast in the morning and get them ready for bed at night.

"During rest hour and in the evenings I spent time getting to know my girls through playing games and activities such as making friendship bracelets. There were also events like 'Color War' and the Wico Challenge Cup which involved the whole camp, and of course the traditional 4th of July celebrations.

"It was a little scary at first working in another country and not knowing what to expect, but I quickly learnt everyone was in the same boat as me. I met people from all over the world - places such as Argentina, Jamaica, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and Ireland. There were a few counsellors from the North West of England too, so we even had a 'mini-Lancashire'.

"It's so hard to pick out what I learnt from this fantastic experience, there's so much I benefited from. The camp encourages the counsellors and the girls to build on the 'Three C's' - confidence, community and competence. There were so many highlights but the bonds I made amongst the staff and the girls and sharing those experiences is the main one.

"I want to be a primary school teacher when I graduate, so hearing positive feedback about my teaching skills made me really proud. I have so many stories and memories of my time at Camp Wicosuta and they'll live with me for the rest of my life.

"I'd fully recommend undertaking a placement, so if anyone is thinking of doing something similar next year, I'm happy for them to contact me to ask about my experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment