Tuesday 9 June 2015

Team Spirit placement just the job for Tom

We always encourage our students to gain practical event experience to put their academic studies into context and enhance employability skills.

Tom Craig is one of two students currently on placement with Team Spirit where he works as part of the Sales and Venue Finding team, liaising with clients and suppliers to source appropriate venues for events.

After undertaking an initial five-day training programme, Tom began his placement and has subsequently been involved in a variety of Team Spirit events.

He said: "Just one week in I found the event which would be my favourite throughout my time at Team Spirit.

"It's called a Haka (a Maori war dance or challenge) and is used as the 'ultimate conference energiser' to kickstart the day or wake delegates from an afternoon lull whilst providing everyone with a new tangible skill.

"On another event I was given the role of artist liaison for Dynamo the magician. I had to make sure his time with us ran as smoothly as possible, ensuring both he and the client were happy with the outcome.

"This involved close conversations and negotiations with venue staff and delegates at the event. The evening closed with Dynamo, myself and his agents mixing with the crowd giving close up magic shows. I can honestly say this man was unbelievable."

During his placement Tom travelled to Bahia del Duque 5 star Resort in Tenerife, where he helped organise a Haka event for 200 guests from a leading global pharmaceutical company.

He has also performed as a variety of characters at events including Superman, a pirate and a Bugsy Malone gangster, and has learnt how to sell, understand business situations, network and build client relationships.

Tom added:"I'm over the moon with my placement. I've gained new skills in such a short time and really have surprised myself. I'm more than excited to be working on more Team Spirit events over the summer once my placement is over. I can honestly say this has been a refreshingly different experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment