Thursday 29 May 2014

Events graduate turns to Hospitality

Event Management graduate Ian Mann recently returned to UCLan to attend a dinner organised by First Year International Hospitality Management students.

We took the opportunity to find out what he's been doing since graduating in 2011: "I initially worked at Weetwood Hall Conference Centre and Hotel in Leeds as a Senior Hospitality Supervisor. After five months I was promoted to Assistant Hospitality and Beverage Manager.

"I liked what I'd heard about working for Marriott, so when a job opportunity came up in November 2012 I applied and became Senior Food and Beverage Services Supervisor at their hotel in Liverpool City Centre. I'm responsible for running the restaurant and bar, and also for conferences and events.

"I'm proud to say I won the Associate of the Year Award 2013 and I'm also now on the Marriott Management Advancement Programme with the aim to progress within the company.

"Although my degree is in Event Management, I went into Hospitality because that's where the jobs were at the time. I decided I liked it but I still get the chance to do events alongside hospitality.

"I'd advise current or prospective students to get as much practical experience as possible whilst at University because you will need it to get a job - a degree on its own isn't enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment